1999-2002 --These pages are part of the Schuyler co., NY Genweb page.  Not for commercial use.
Photos cannot be used without the permission of the owner.

Schuyler Co., NY
Photo Album

Cook Academy Postcard,
as the Academy looked about 1892/93
Montour Falls, Schuyler co., NY

(contributed by Dee Watt)

The Cook Academy (originally People's College) was started by Charles Cook around Sept. 1858, when the cornerstone was laid at a large ceremony.  The building was completed  in Oct. of  1862.  It was originally going to be developed in to a fine university, but the government funds ended up going to build Cornell University.  After Charles Cook died in 1866 it was closed for a few years.  Then it was purchased by the Masons, and used as an orphanage & school (Masons NY State Orphanage), with the academic department opening in 1868.  In 1870 the school was purchased by Col. Elbert W. Cook (brother of original owner Charles) & opened again in 1873.  For a number of  years it was a private boarding high school until 1943, then later was a Catholic seminary (St. John's Seminary of Atonement) for high school boys , and is currently the Fire Academy of Sciences run by New York State.
See Article on Havana, NY for more details & names of faculty c. 1894.

Back to Photo Album index