1999 - 2003 --These pages are part of the Schuyler co., NY Genweb page.  Not for commercial use.
Misc. Newspaper Clippings, early 1900s
Schuyler co., NY & vicinity
Contributed by various website visitors. Found in scrapbooks.

Hunting Story;
MacDOUGALL Reunions, 1905, 1906, 1930;
Harry STERLING death;
John BARRETT attempted murder, 1911;
Total Eclipse, 1925;
BOTSFORD dies on Titanic, 1912 (in 1932 article);
"Husband's Lucky Find".

Unknown Date & Year - Perilous Condition of a Hunter.
The Memphis Argus gives the following account of a providential escape from starvation of a gentleman residing in Lauderdale Co., Tenn., near Hale's Point: --
"Last week he was out hunting in a large bottom in his neighborhood and he observed a wild goose flying out of a cyprus stump, which was some 20 feet high.  His knowledge of the habits of these geese led him to believe that the goose had a nest in the stump.  On the outside of the stump were a number of vines, which he climbed up to peep in and get possession of the eggs.  After he had succeeded in gaining the top of the stump, he discovered a large number of eggs some 6 or 8 feet down inside.  The next he supposed was on a firm foundation, and he accordingly let himself down inside; but, when he struck the substance on which the nest was built, he discovered that it had no foundation, and soon found himself sinking to the bottom of the tree.
"The inside of the tree was rotten and would not bear his weight.  Now he was in a dilemma; five miles from any habitation, inside of a stump 2o feet high, with no prospect of any assistance, with nothing to subsist on but the goose eggs.  He screamed and yelled until he was nearly exhausted, but no one came within hearing distance.  On the third day after his incarceration, two men were out hunting, and coming within hearing distance, were very much frightened on hearing a man groan inside of the stump, and for some time they could not reconcile themselves to what it meant; but having learned that the gentleman had been missing from home several days, they were soon satisfied that it was no ghost inside the tree.  They procured axes, and soon the prisoner was liberated.  He swears he will never attempt to rob a goose nest situated as that one was again."  [from Montour Library collection]

January 1, 1905 - The 22nd annual McDOUGALL Reunion.
The 22nd annual McDOUGALL Reunion of the McDougall families was held Sat. at the residence of Marion McDOUGALL on the Ridge road.  [Near Millport, Chemung co.]  Several members were unable to be present.  All those present enjoyed a very pleasant day.  As follows are those who responded:  James McDOUGALL and wife and Fred STONE and wife of  Montour Falls; Chauncey STERLING, wife and son Harry of Millport; William McDOUGALL and wife of Elmira; Marion McDOUGALL and wife, Ai McDOUGALL, Miss Emily, Charles, Alonso, Harry, Jay, Gr_[Grace?], Burr, Mildred, George and Libbie McDOUGALL of Veteran... [from Walt Samson]

January 1, 1906 - The 23rd annual McDOUGALL Reunion.
On Monday, Jan. 1, 1906, occurred the 23rd annual reunion of the McDOUGALL family, which is  held at the old homestead, now occupied by Marion McDOUGALL.  Those present were James McDOUGALL and wife of Montour Falls;  Joseph PELHAM, wife and daughters Frances and Julia of Odessa; Chauncey STERLING and wife of Millport;  Mrs. T. J. CARPENTER and grandson Arthur THALHAIMER of Horseheads; Ai McDOUGALL and wife, Theodore McDOUGALL, Ed McDOUGALL, wife and children Burr, Mildred, George, Libbie and Raymond, Miss Emily McDOUGALL, Marion McDOUGALL, wife and children Alonzo, Harry, Jay and Grace, and Chas. McDOUGALL and wife of Veteran.  1907 was much the same, but mentioned Mrs. William MacDOUGALL and daughter Clara Bell of Elmira and also Ed. BROWN of Elmira.[See also McDOUGALL family tree and Fred STONE diaries.]

January 1, 1930 - 47th Annual McDOUGALL Reunion, Ridge Road.
The 47th annual reunion of the descendants of David & Sarah MacDOUGALL was held on New Years at the home of Chas. MacDOUGALL in Veteran.  Those present were Mr. & Mrs. E. P. MacDOUGALL, Mrs. Mildred Upson and son Arthur of Veteran, Mrs. Harriett STERLING, Mrs. Elizabeth STONE and daughter Alice, Mrs. Burr MacDOUGALL, Mrs. Geo. MacDOUGALL and daughters Mary, Evelyn and Jeon Louise, Mr. & Mrs. Vicner (?) WISE and daughter Jean of Montour Falls, Mrs. Virgil FISHEL and daughter Marian of Binghamton, Mr. & Mrs. Edward DYKES of Elmira, Mr. & Mrs. Jay MacDOUGALL and daughter Betty of Starkey, Mr. & Mrs. Ray MacDOUGALL of  Horseheads and Mrs. Emma REED, Harry MacDOUGALL, Mr. & Mrs. Chas. MacDOUGAL and daughter Helen of Veteran. [from Walt Samson]

Date unknown - Son of Chauncey STERLING Electrocuted at Millport.
Fri. afternoon Harry STERLING was killed at Millport by a live electric wire.  Harry STERLING was 14 years old and was the son of Mr. & Mrs. Chauncey STERLING.  He was playing along the banks of Catharine creek north of the village, and near a point where the track of the Elmira & Seneca Lake railway crosses the stream.  It is supposed the boy fell into the creek and in the effort to reach land, grasped a wire charged with an electric current and was instantly killed.  A frightful cry was heard and several persons ran to the boy's assistance, among them George CONKRITE [CRONKITE?], who in an attempt to rescue him, was badly shocked.  When he was released from the wife life was extinct.  Dr. Elliott BUSH of this village wsa in the place at the time and was called, but could render no assistance, life having been extinct some  minutes.  It is understood the wire which caused the accident was a loose gay or telephone wire which  had crossed the trolley wire in the recent rain storm and flood.  The awful death of the boy, which was witnessed by the mother, has caused sorrow in every home in the village.  Coroner JONES investigated the case and Mon. afternoon examined several witnesses.  The funeral was held at the home Tues. afternoon at 2:30 o'clock.  Deceased was a member of St. Mark's Episcopal church and was confirmed in April.  He was a pupil of the Millport union school, where he will be sadly missed....[from Walt Samson]

May 11, 1911 - Montour Free Press
- John BARRETT of Montour Falls Goes to Elmira with a Gun.
- Attacks Woman who would not live with him as a result of a quarrel.  Would-Be Murderer Struggles with Captors.  Deep Remorse.  [Elmira Star-Gazette Thursday.]
What possibly will be another cold blooded murder occurred at 8:40 o'clock last evening in Ansel Y. FOX's restaurant, 410 East Water Street, when John BARRETT, 44 years old, a Montour Falls laborer, sent two 32-calibre bullets into his wife's body and turned to fight men who grappled him.  These men were Proprietor FOX, who stood directly back of the drink-crazed man when he fired the first shot, and Mitt FRENCH, an amateur boxer, who was eating his supper.  FOX pinned BARRETT's arms and FRENCH wrested the revolver from him.  When the first two shots were fired, Mrs. BARRETT was on the opposite side of a large round table from where her husband stood.  The first shot passed her head and lodged in the wall back of her.  The second struck her in the abdomen and lodged in the region of the back.  It was after the second shot had been fired that Mr. FOX threw his arms around those of the murderous laborer.  While FOX was struggling with BARRETT, before FRENCH reached him, Mrs. BARRETT, after having been shot in the abdomen, savagely charged at her husband.  While FOX held BARRETT she faced the would-be murderer and again he shot her.  This time the bullet struck her in the groin and took a downward course and was picked up on the floor after it has passed through her thigh.
FRENCH & FOX fought viciously with the ugly man before they over-powered him.  Mrs. FOX and Mrs. ROUTLEDGE, a waitress, who had been witnesses to the shooting, rushed out of the place.  Several patrons also forsook their meals and left.  They went running in all directions calling "Police! Murder! Police!"  The shooting was on Officer STEWART's post, but he didn't happen to be there.  Officer Michael LYONS at the corner of Carroll and Lake Streets was the first to respond to the summons.  He rushed into the place and arrested BARRETT.  FRENCH turned the gun over to the police.  It is a sort of $3.50 Fourth of July celebration affair designed for rim fire cartridges. He had bought it at M.N. WEED's hardward store in Montour Falls immediately prior to taking the 3:30 train to this city.  He came here loaded up on bad whiskey and planned to shoot his wife.  At 6:30 o'clock at the BUCKBEE house across the street from the restaurant where the shooting occurred, he joined C.W. HOTALEN, a printer employed by the Chemung Printing company with whom he  had been acquainted for many years and whom he visited Saturday night and Sunday when he had come here to see his wife.  He told HOTALEN that he was going over to the restaurant to see his wife about "that divorce matter".  He left HOTALEN on the steps of the hotel.  HOTALEN went back into the hotel to get a chair to place on the porch.  He was seated only several minutes, not more than ten, when he heard the shots.  He said he knew what had  happened, having been familiar with the situation for some time.
Crowd Gathers.  A great crowd congregated immediately after the shooting.  The police were there quickly and Detective GRADWELL was in charge.  Mrs. BARRETT sank to the floor upon receiving the second wound and was carried to a chair.  There she suffered agonizing pains and her moaning struck terror and pity into the  hearts of all.  She was hurried to St. Joseph's hospital where she was immediately attended by Dr. Abraham LANDE.  Dr. LANDE stated late this afternoon that he thinks the patient will recover.  He doesn't consider either of the wounds fatal.  This is all good fortune.  The doctor said that the first bullet went through the right thigh at the right of the bone and an inch in the right of an artery which, if severed, would have caused death.  The other bullet entered the body at a point low on the abdomen, struck the bony pelvic framework and glanced down, passing through the top of the thigh and lodging in the fleshy part of the buttock.  Dr. LANDE removed this bullet at 10 o'clock last night.  The woman's pulse is good and her general condition very favorable to recovery.  Dr. LANDE stated that blood poisoning, of course, may set in and result seriously, but if it does not, he thinks she will recover.  Had the bullet last described struck an inch higher it would have passed into and through the abdominal cavity, and resulted fatally immediately.  The second shot was aimed at her heart.  As she rushed around the table she grabbed the hand that held the revolver pointed to her  heart and as it was discharged she had forced it down so that the bullet struck her low on the body instead of over the heart.  Thus the wonderful gameness of the woman saved her life - if she lives.
Coroner on hand.  Coroner Frank W. ROSS was on the scene almost immediately after the shooting.  He hurried to the hospital and with District Attorney BOGART, took an ante-mortem statement from the woman which will be used by both officials in handling their several phases of the case.  This statement merely included the fact that BARRETT shot her because she refused to return to  Montour Falls to live with him.  They have been married about 25 years and have four children, the eldest being 23 and the youngest 10.
John BARRETT, who is lodged in jail awaiting the outcome of his wife's injuries, is a native or Granville township, Bradford co., PA.  He came to this section of the state about 15 or so years ago and established himself in Montour Falls, where he since has lived with his family on Mulberry Street, where he has his  home.  He worked for nine years in the Bethesda Sanitorium of Montour Falls, as ground keeper and janitor.  When he left there h e became a laborer and mechanic's helper in turn in the Pneumatic Tool company's plant, the Kronk-Carrier company plant (Cronk & Carrier), and the plant of the Rochester Bridge Construction company.  He has a brother, Lee BARRETT, of  519 Balsam street, this city, who is a photographer and who formerly lived in Montour Falls and Gillett, PA.
John BARRETT's wife's name was Gertrude ALNY (?) of Gillett, PA.  She is about 43  years old and is a member of a respected family  of that section.  She married BARRETT when she was less than 20 years old.  Their oldest daughter is Mrs. Leo WELLS of Montour Falls.  Miss Ethel BARRETT, about 20 years old, lives at 803 East Water St.  The two young boys live with relatives.
Why He Did It.  When officer LYONS arrested BARRETT, he asked BARRETT why he shot the woman.  The man said he shot her because she wouldn't live with him.  That is all he would say for some time.  Later, on the way to the station, he said he hoped she would live and that he merely wanted to hurt her a little but that he hoped she would get well.  Mrs. BARRETT was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in the police patrol wagon.
BARRETT was led to the police station by Officer LYONS and Enoch LITTLE.  Before he had gone a block h e was remorseful and begged to see his wife.  He was lodged in jail and left there for several hours before being examined by District Attorney BOGART.  The whole trouble is the out-growth of differences that caused a rupture between the couple on March 6 last.  When Mrs. BARRETT left her husband and came to this city to work.  Sydney CAREY, about 19 years old and his sister, had boarded at the BARRETT home in  Montour Falls for about a year prior to March 1.  Yound CAREY worked at the sanitarium and was supposed to pay the board of himself and sister at the BARRETT's.  John BARRETT says that young CAREY never paid a cent of board and for that reason and no other, he repeatedly demanded that they leave the house.  He said he was willing that they should stay if they paid board but that he objected to supporting them at his house as they were not relatives of his.  He said that his wife always protested against turning them out and that as a result he and his wife quarrelled.  He denied that he ever said or believed young CAREY came to this city with his wife or that he was suspicious of her actions in that regard.  He emphatically stated that it was the question of the board of the CAREYS and nothing else, which caused the trouble.  On account of the numerous arguments on this point, Mrs. BARRETT departed on March 6.  BARRETT closed the house and the other children came to this city or went with relatives.  He continued to live in Montou Falls and worked at the Tool works.
Comes to City.  He came here Saturday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock and joined C.W. HOTALEN, a printer employed at the Chemung Printing company plant.  HOTALEN is boarding at the BUCKBEE House.  He lived in  Montour Falls several years with the BARRETTS and knows all the family.  BARRETT on Saturday afternoon went to the FOX restaurant and demanded to see his wife.  He was so menacing in his action that he was put out.  He had inquired of Officer LAWES the location of the place.  On Sunday evening he succeeded in seeing his wife and they went down on Fox street and discussed their troubles for an hour or more.  They agreed to disagree.  She demanded a separation from him and finally he said he would come here and let her have it.  He told HOTALEN what the result had been but didn't talk about it much and said that he was going to do as he agreed.  He went back to Montour Falls Sunday night.
Orders Meal.  Yesterday he came here with the cheap revolver which he told the police he purchased to kill cats.  He drank whiskey and when he entered the restaurant all the people connected with it were rather nervous.  He ordered a meal and paid for it, telling Mrs. FOX, who waited on him, that she could have all the money that fell on the floor.  He let some change drop on the floor as he said it, and she didn't make any effort to pick it up.  He ate two eggs and drank a cup of tea.  Then he leaned over as if to pick up the fallen coins.  That gave him an opportunity to arrange his revolver for use in the next room where his wife was washing dishes back of a board partition.  When he first entered the restaurant he took a seat but did not remove his hat.  Mrs. FOX, when she took his order, removed his hat and said "I'll put it on a hook over there."  He scowled at her but said nothing.  After fixing his revolver he arose hurriedly, stepped 10 feet to the door in the partition.  As he stood with the gun pointed at his wife across the table, Mr. FOX stood directly back of him washing his hands at a sink.  The first two shots were in rapid succession and then FOX seized him.  Mrs. BARRETT had worked at the restaurant three weeks as a dishwasher.  She had been steady, agreeable and quiet.  She never had done anything to show that she was not all right.  She had said she was afraid of her husband.  District Attorney BOGART took several affidavits of witnesses during the evening and later questioned the prisoner.  His answer to the question "What made you do it?" was "Whiskey".  He told the story just as related here.  He said he had been chagrined because she would not live with him and that he had become enraged and come to the city and shot her while in that state of mind.  His mind was clear as to all incidents connected with the shooting and leading to it, when he was questioned by the district attorney.
Full of Remorse.  BARRETT was a pitiable spectable in his cell this morning.  He had come to his senses.  He begged for information about the condition of his wife, declared that  he wished he never had done it and that he hoped she would get well.   He said that he never had been arrested and that he loves his wife.  He begged to be allowed to have her picture, which had been taken from  him when he was arrested.  BARRETT is a small man of good appearance.  He has ruddy complexion, light hair, dresses well and appears bright.  He will be held in jail pending the outcome of the case at the hospital.  He has not retained an attorney.

November 12, 1924 - Total Solar Eclipse in January, 1925.
The people of Schuyler County on January 24, 1925 will be able to witness a total solar eclipse, the first that has taken place since the eighteenth century. Such an event will not take place again, astronomers, say, until the year 2024. Watkins is fortunate in being situated near the very center of  the eclipse. [contributed by Irene Crout Johnson]

April 1932 - Elmiran Lost with Titanic 20 Years Ago
W. Hull BOTSFORD 1 of 1,595 Passengers and Crew to Sink--Disaster Caused Ice Patrol of  North Atlantic to Avert More Calamities.  Thurs. (April 14) was the 20th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, chronicled in history as one of the worst disasters in a half century.  An Elmiran, W. Hull BOTSFORD, whose home was at Davis & Fifth Streets, was lost when the ill-fated White Star liner struck an iceberg.  He was returning from a trip through Europe and Egypt, on which he had studied architecture.  First reports said the vessel was safe, but the next day came the startling news that 1,595 lives of passengers and crew had been lost.  A total of 2,340 persons, including the crew, were on board.  The Carpathia, which went to the rescue, saved 739.  If the man on the street ever asks himself why this disaster has never been repeated, he may find his answer in a small team in the German Government budget.  This item is never omitted, regardless of crisis at home or abroad.  The entry calls for payment of 80,000 marks annually to the American Government (roughly $20,000) for the ice patrol in the North Atlantic.  The patrol is maintained by 14 nations whose liners ply the North Atlantic, and was instituted because so many lives were lost when the Titanic crashed with an unseen "berg".  [fromWalt Samson]

A Husband's Lucky Find
(from old newspaper clipping - exact date unknown, but circa early 1900s)
The Elmira Star-Gazette tells this story, which it says is true:
A few nights ago a well-known resident of the West side returned home about midnight, after a week's absence from the city.  He went to his home and entered quietly as was his custom.  Knowing that his wife has difficulty in returning to a night's rest after being disturbed, he took advantage of a bright moonlight and lighted no other light in the house.  Going to his room which was sufficiently lighted by the moonrays through the windows to permit him to retire, he spoke to his wife, assured her of his presence, undressed quietly and retired without disturbing her very much.  He had retired but a short time when the wife aroused her husband and assured him that she was not feeling well.  She was suffering from cramps and a certain remedy which had been used before in the household was not available and he must go to the drug store and have the prescription on the bottle label filled.  The husband arose, again by the moonlight, secured the empty bottle and hastened to the druggist's, got him out of bed and went to the drug store nearby to have the emergency prescription filled.  While the druggist was filling the prescription, the Westsider recalled that he had placed his wallett under his pillow and the only money he had in his trousers  pockets was 70 cents in change.  As he expected, the prescription was 75 cents, a very modest charge for so valuable a vial, secured in the middle of the night.  The husband made the usual excuses about unfortunately having to owe the druggist a nickle, at the same time reaching for the 70 cents in the trousers  pockets.  The druggist may have been surprised at the alarmed expression which came over his customer's face when he withdrew his  hand from his pocket, but his surprise was nothing to that of the devoted husband who had gone out in the middle of the night to buy medicine for his wife.  Instead of 70 cents, he pulled out a roll of bills, which a few minutes later he discovered contained an even $1,300 in bills of large denominations.  Then he took a look at the trousers, and when he saw that though they were a pretty good pair they did not belong to him.  Being of a modest disposition, fond of peace and very saving, the husband returned home with the medicine, cured his wife's cramps, retired and instead of wasting the $1,300 in riotous  living, he went to his bank the next morning and deposited the money to his account.  They even say the trousers are a very good fit, and the Westsider is wearing them, as disastrous as may be the result when some local sleuth may match them with a coat and vest of the same pattern.

Back to Schuyler co., NY genealogy resources