These pages are
part of the Schuyler co., NY Genweb page. Not for commercial
Photos cannot be used without the permission of Linda Z. O'Halloran.
Montour Falls Village Hall & Clerk's Office,
Montour Falls, Schuyler co., NY
(contributed by Linda O'Halloran)
The buildings in this postcard (above) were all built by Charles Cook between 1854-1864 in the Greek Revival style. He also built the St. Paul's Episcopal Church, the Montour House (inn) and the Sheriff's House (these 3 are not shown here). The Montour Falls Village Hall (tallest building in postcard, in the center, with cupola & six pillars) was built in 1855. It was originally the Schuyler County Courthouse, because Montour Falls, or "Havana" as it was called, was the county seat at that time. Now the building is used as the Village of Montour Falls offices & justice court. The red brick building in the postcard foreground was the original Clerk's Office built in 1854 and now used as a law office. The Library, at the far right (and in separate picture, below), was built in the early 1860s and became the Havana National Bank in 1864, first run by Hon. Hull Fanton. In 1904, it was given to the village to be used as a library, and a bay window and tiffany glass were added at that time.
Back to Schuyler co., NY photo album