These pages are part of the Schuyler co., NY Genweb page. Not for
The Old Burial Grounds of Reading
Schuyler co., NY
Article Two, Three & Four by John Corbett, c. 1910.
Photo for Location
Contributed by I.C.J.
THE OLD BURIAL GROUNDS OF READING
The County Line Cemetery.
Description of its Pioneer Dead Within Its Bounderies.
"The James Watson Purchase at the head of Seneca Lake included
the lands from low water mark westward to the
Pre-Emption Line. It’s south extension was the boundary between the counties of Tioga formed in 1791 and Steuben formed in 1796. The Town of Reading was organized in 1806 and was the southern portion of the tract which in the survey was laid off into sections, of those in turn into lots, as several landowners were interested in ownership. Section number one was bounded on the east by the waters of the Lake. And on the south by the line of Tioga and Steuben now followed for a portion of its course by the County Line Road, while it’s north bounds the Mud Lake road. Its lake front was laid out as the village of Savoy by Isaac Q. Leake, and is now part of Watkins, north of Division Street. The remainder of the section was surveyed into fourteen lots lying in two tiers numbered from west to east. And in the southwesterly portion of Lot 13 was located as a public burial ground. The "County Line Cemetery" is the modern appellation of the old time graveyard which the records indirectly show was set aside for burial purposes by the John Lamb estate. In book one page 122 of deeds from Steuben, is recorded the sale on Feb 1, 1809 by Anthony Lamb of Albany, to Catherine Tillinghast, of the same city, widow; "All that certain tract, piece or parcel of land remaining known and as Section No. I, of a certain tract of land purchased by James Watson from the state of New York, situated on the west bank of Seneca Lake and adjoining there to and which said lot, plan or parcel of land conveyed contains 1,540 acres be the same more or less the above mentioned lot piece or parcel of land formerly belonging to John Lamb, deceased, and conveyed by Aquilla Giles, Marshal of the United States for the District of New York, to the said Anthony Lamb.'' In this conveyance, which included with all the others Lot 13, there is no reservation to the grounds that were even then devoted to the deed. For they contained marked graves dug as early as 1793. Sixteen years previous to the date of the deed, John Lamb was a member of the company of capitalists interested in the James Watson Purchase and was the father of Catherine Tillinghast, the mother of John L., Charles Jr., Martha and Mary Tillinghast who became the wife of Isaac Q. Leake. There were many conveyances between those heirship owners of the lands of Section No. 1, and no mention of Burial Grounds, until in a deed of April 11, 1831, recorded in Book 3, page 469, of Deeds from Steuben. Martha and Mary Tillinghast then conveyed to John Lamb, who was the son of the original land owner, several parcels of land, among which was one described as follows: All the part of Lots 13, 14, and 15, beginning at a point in the line dividing the counties of Steuben and Tioga near a fallen hemlock tree marked 12, and 13, thence north 22 chains and 91 links to the southwest corner of a lot also in possession of the said and heirs heretofore sold of Lots 14, 15 and 16 to Daniel Norris, thence southeasterly along the line of said lot to the corner thereof in the westerly bounds of the Charles Tillinghast Farm, thence along the said bounds south 41 degrees, east 26 chains and 65 links to the line between the counties aforesaid, thence along the said line to the place of beginning, containing twenty-eight acres or thereabouts. Philip Crippen was mentioned in the transaction of these lands as is Daniel C. Norris. The land exchanged hands many times.
The COUNTY LINE CEMETERY has the oldest graves, nearly in
the center of the grounds, in a row marked with undressed stones, evidently
form the bed of the adjoining stream, with the following inscriptions:
- Elizabeth Barber - departed this life July 24, 1793. age 12 day
- Here lies the body of Jean McGahen, departed this life Aug. 6, 1793
- Daniel Smyth departed this life Nov. 30th 1794
- Daniel B. Barber departed this life May 17. 1795, aged 3 mo.
- Here lies the body of Jane Smith, wife of Henry Smith, died Nov 1795, aged 66yrs.
- Charles Deming who died April 25, 1816 aged 47 years.
In the row next east is the grave of
- James Drake, who died Mar, 16, 1816, aged 68years.
Northeastward is the Diven monument with the inscription
- Capt. John Diven, a Soldier of the Revolution, died Sept 23, 1812, In the 86th year of his life.
These burials are particularly mentioned, in order that the resting-places of the dead of the Barber, McGahen and Smyth families may be fully located, for they were evidently in the vanguard of the pioneers at the head of Seneca Lake. Who they were and whence they came will never be known from research of any written record, but they were doubtless people of early substance from the fact that even at that early day they marked their graves, a custom that was not always possible in opening up of the wilderness. These settlers may have first seen Seneca Lake as Volunteers of the Military Expedition under General John Sullivan in 1772, for of that body of troops was an artillery detachment from the Regiment of Col. John Lamb, the original owner of Section No. 1, of the town of Reading. The County Line Cemetery of Reading contains not only the oldest graves within the limits of Schuyler county, but is one of the most historical and important burial places about Seneca Lake.
In addition to the list of dead given above, other graves of
pioneers and their decedents are as follows. Those for which dates
are given have stones of slate.
- Hannah Deming, wife of Charles Deming, 1805;
- Sally Miller, 1807;
- children of William Corry, 1812-1813.;
- Elizabeth Bills 1815;
- Phineas Thompson 1819;
- Daughter of Claudius Townsend, 1819;
- Children of Samuel Deming 1821-23;
- Deborah Miller 1823;
- Dalton Gilbert 1825;
- Betsey Corbett, wife of Charles S. Deming, 1827;
- Rev. Charles Moshier 1828;
- John Kennedy 1831;
- Lewis Thompson 1823;
- James VanZant 1835
- Daniel C. McDowell,
- William Haskins,
- Hampton Miller,
- Joshua Hatfield,
- John Drake,
- Garrett Haring,
- Isaac Kennedy,
- Sanford Richardson,
- Jarius Chapman,
- Isaac Haring,
- Stephen Gilbert,
- John Gilbert,
- Joshua Cross,
- John Pangborn,
- Noah Chapman,
- Hiram Chapman,
- Walter Dickerson,
- Armstrong Baskin,
- Amasa Nichols,
- Lora Hudson,
- Dalton Gilbert,
- Abner Gilbert,
- Burlock Norris,
- Mathew Henderson,
- Peter Young,
- William Young,
- Collins Norris,
- Orson Knapp,
- Samuel Case,
- Benjamin Burgess,
- William Young,
- Patrick Seaman,
- Solomon Wilbur,
- Amasa Benson,
- William, Daniel and Martin Bolt;
- William, Benjamin and Elijah Collins,
- Joshua and Orin Carpenter,
- John Cooper,
- David Bunn,
- Dodo Benson,
- John Sherman,
- John Stoll,
- Abner Stamp,
- Henry Deyo,
- Jacob Harrington,
- Peter Obert,
- Oscar Harfield,
- Philetus Skuse,
- David Palmer,
- Abraham Taylor,
- Joseph Beckwith,
- William Depue,
- Thomas Terryberry,
- Orlson Seaman.
The wives and children of the dead thus enumerated are buried by the side of their remains and as many unmarked graves within the grounds, their area is nearly occupied to full capacity. This sketch of the County Line Cemetery, lengthy as it is for a newspaper article, but briefly enters upon an outline of the storied past, for every life that strove before its casket was committed to its ground no matter in what calling or degree of effort. Contributed to the ordained and inevitable advancement of mankind."
THE OLD BURIAL GROUNDS OF READING
The Lake Road Ground.
The Reading Center Burial Ground.
The Catholic Cemetery.
"Section No. 5 of the town of Reading was bought by Joshua Brooks who divided it into lots and sold them out for settlement. He was represented in three transactions by an agent named McKinney, who died in 1812 and was buried in Lot 13, at about the center of what is now the Lake Road Burying Grounds. The writer (John Corbett) was told of this death by John Roberts, the son of James Roberts, and the first child born at Reading after its organization as a town in 1806. The grave was not marked, but the plot about it was set aside after for burial place and interments soon began as the records below indicate. Joshua Brooks conveyed lot 10 to John Roberts, the son of James Roberts, May 18,1819, without written reservation of any lands for a graveyard. John Roberts sold his holdings around the burial place to John Jamison, May 15, 1837, and he sold to Sherman Smith on Sept 15, 1849, who sold to William Sprowle on April 2,1855. All three deeds were executed with no reserve to the burial plat, though its bounds were well determined and the location of the graves within its area was of constant occurrence. The Lake Road Burying Ground was devoid of transfer title or it is described by a deed recorded in Book 3, page 510 and which says, 'This indenture made July, 8, 1858, between William Sprowls and Agnes his wife, of the first part, and Lewis Roberts, Otis B. Corbett and David. C. Hillerman, Trustees of the Cemetery on Lot 13, in Section No. 5, and their successors in office in the second part. The said parties of the first part in consideration of the sum of $53.00 to them duly paid, have sold end by these present do grant and convey to the said parties of the second part their heirs assigns all that tract or plat of land situated in the Town of Reading, County of Schuyler and State of New York, in what is called James Watson’s location between the Pre-Emption Line and Seneca 1ake, being a part of this south half of Lot No. 13, in Section No. 5. bounded and described as follows: It being the Cemetery grounds on said lot, containing about 127 square rods of land, with the appurtenances and all the estate, title and interest therein of the said parties of the first part.' Otis R. Corbett by purchase of Manly F. Sprowls, Aug. 31, 1898, made an addition upon the west of this burial ground."
"The LAKE ROAD GROUND (AKA GABRIEL CEMETERY) is the
resting-place of the remains of the pioneers and their descendants of the
eastern portion of Reading, the list of dead including the following.
- James, child of John Roberts, 1813;
- Abraham B. Hurley, 1814;
- Joshua Austin 1815;
- Norton Sutton, 1811;
- Elizabeth Roberts, 1817;
- Abigail Gloyd, 1817;
- John Gustin, 1817;
- 0wen Gustin, 1817;
- Amanda Longwell, 1821;
- Lewis Corbett 1821- all children of tender age.
- Abiah, wife of Joseph Gregory, 1819;
- Sarah, mother of Thomas Hurley, 1820, aged 87;
- Philip Washburn, 1829 age 85;
- William and Phebe Sutton.
Burials were made in the Reading Center Ground as early as 1815, and it was not until May 13th, 1828 that Joshua Brooks sold that portion of Lot No. 10, upon which it is located, to Valentine Hitchcock. This conveyance is recorded in book 3-page 300 of "Deeds from Steuben,'' and although in surrounding the burial grounds, contains no mention of the fact. There is a tradition that Valentine Hitchcock deeded the Reading Center Burying Grounds to the Reading Baptist Church, but there exists no such mention of record. Valentine Hitchcock sold many lots in Reading Center from 1838 to 1843. Beginning at the southwest corner of the Burying Ground, running thence northerly on a line with the west line of said Burying Ground 15 rods to the corner of the public highway, etc., Feb 12, 1845, Algernon Hitchcock gave to Alonzo Simmons a deed. The Reading Center Ground received its second mention in the books of record. Valentine was mentioned as deceased. Cyrus Roberts sold the piece of land Mar. 19, 1850 to Alonzo Simmons. It bordered land of Jerusha Wightman, then along lands of Thomas B. Raymond."
"READING CENTER BURYING GROUND has the first marked grave
with the inscription:
- In memory Mary Olds, who died Aug. 15, 1815, aged 2-yrs.10 mo. 9da.
Another grave marker is as follows:
- John Davis died July 15, 1815, aged 95 years. His birth probably antedated that of any other pioneer to the head of Seneca Lake.
- John Jones died Sept. 25 1815, aged 75 years.
- Mary La Fever, wife of Peter Miller, died Oct. 31, 1816.
- Nancy Dickerson, wife of Lewis La Fever, died Aug. 21, 1817.
- Alpheus Davis died Aug. 20, 1818.
- Ezra Keeler died Sept. 9, 1818.
- Rachael LaFever died March 12, 1820.
- Isaac LaFever died March 27, 1820.
- John Davis died Oct? 15, 1820.
- Mary, wife of John Dow, died May 6, 1823.
- John Sutton, d. Dec. 8, 1828, aged 55.
- Thankful Davis, June 3, 1830, aged 79.
- Lewis La Fever, May 21, 1836, aged 61.
- John Dillistin, 1838 aged 69.
- Abner Piper, 50.
- Amasa Nichols, 1829 ae 28.
- Samuel Sellen, 1841, 77.
- William Gould, 1841, 78.
- Valentine Hitchcock,1845, 79.
- Anna Olds Hitchcock, 1849, 75.
- Elisha Canfield, 1849, 65.
- Elijah Bacon, 1851, 91.
- James Earles, 1851, 81.
- John Dow, born Aug. 13, 1769, died June 15, 1852.
- Elmer Keeler, 1856, 70.
- Oliver Hoyt, 1856, 85.
- Benjamin W. Green, 1857, 83.
- Reuben LaFever l859, 61.
- Roswell Holden. 1861, 68.
- William Knapp, 1861, 68.
- Sarah Gould 1862, 96.
- Moses Benham 1868, 81.
- Hiel K. Dillistin, 1871, 61.
- William Diven 1873, 81.
- William Holiday Hurley, 1875, 64.
- Russell Skiff, 1876, 83.
- Charles R. Smith, 1885, 78.
- Peter Hanmer, 1897, 86.
- Samuel Lott, 1898, 85.
The wives of these pioneers and descendants also rest in the grounds, and others there buried are
- Algernon Hitchcock
- Sylvester White
- Joseph Smith
- Peter Falling
- Joel Forrester
- Abner Howard
- Orvia Brown
- Stephen Hurley
- John Goltry
- John D. Davis
- Tenant Peck
- Daniel Redden
- Willett Sherwood
- John Gadding
- James Lelts
- Elisha Culver
- William Culver
- Charles Sincebaugb
- Ambrose Hedden
- Temperance, wife of' John Dow
- Sophia Keeler, wife of Reuben LaFever
- Melancy, wife of Alexander Bissell
- Rebecca wife of William Goltry
- Phoebe wife of Nathaniel Sutton
- Elizabeth, wife of John Sutton
- Emily, wife of Charles Drake
- Sarah Culver, wife of Thomas Drake
- Lydia, wife of John Ellsworth.
In the new grave plats adjoining the old grounds are buried the following
well-known citizens and their wives:
- Alonzo Simmons
- Roswell Shepherd
- Samuel Ross
- William Ross
- Nathaniel Sutton
- Aaron Sutton
- Harrison Sutton
- John L. Culver
- David C. Diven
- Ransom Hammond
- James Weaver
- Thomas B. Raymond
- Melancthon White
- James Shelton
- Nicholas Webb
- Thomas Webb
- Isaac Vosburgh
- Henry Vosburgh
- Henry Ackerson
- James. C. Ayres
- William Brian
- Charles Ward.
The "OLD CATHOLIC CEMETERY" of Reading adjoins the "County Line Cemetery" on the westward, and was the first burial place for members of the Catholic Church to be located at the head of Seneca Lake. Its establishment was contemporaneous with the building of the Chemung Railroad from Elmira to the village now known as Watkins, completed for traffic in December, 1849, and the first interments were of the remains of the employees who succumbed to the hardships attendant upon enterprises of magnitude at that early day. The grounds became nearly fully occupied before the opening of the "New Catholic Cemetery", and then the bodies of all but the un-friended dead were removed until the plat took on the aspect of a scene of desolation. St. Mary's Cemetery to the westward of Glenwood Cemetery [Watkins], was deeded by George J. Magee to The Right Rev. Stephen Vincent Ryan, in Trust, Nov. 6, 1878, and recorded in Book 22, page 107. The conveyance including land given by Gen. George J. Magee, John and Margaret Roberts, Mary Roberts Hugh and Mary Jamison, Anna Norton, Asaph and Matilda Corbett, Davis and Sarah Mathews, William and Hannah Hillerman, Abijah and Rebecca Newman, Cheater and Sarah Corbett, Luther and Elizabeth Cleveland, Wesley and Phoebe Norton, Dr. John Warner, Mary DeWitt, Hector and Jane Lee, David and Cynthia Mathews, Plummer and Elizabeth Gabriel, George and Nancy Wilmot. John and Elizabeth Roberts. Solomon and Betsey Smith, Allen and Sara Huntley, Gilbert and Mary Hillerman, Daniel and Temperance Washburn, David and Mary Mapes, Charles and Hannah Laraby, William and Sara Harvey, Thomas and Mary Case, Henry and Maria Wait, Jared and Jeannette Sleeper, Joseph Roberts, Henry Baker, Milton Lee, Caulkin Munsell, Isaac Hildreth, Morrison Chase, Elijah Smith, M. Vanorman, James Seaman, Gustin Washburn, David and Jesse Austin, John William, Thomas Hurley, Eunice Torrance, Phebe Gustin, Nancy Hawkins, Mary Ensley, Samantha Ledyard, Mary Dixon, Lydia Batchelder, Mary VanValkenburgh.
Central Reading buried their pioneer dead in The Reading Center,
four plats within the limits of town. Or upon farms and which have
since disappeared. On a knoll to the northward of Reading Center there
are graves marked as such:
- David Culver died June 4, 1829 ae 78.
- Jershua his wife died Dec. 1, 1840, ae 81 yrs.
David Culver in 1800 moved to the farm where he was buried, from a location just south of the entrance to Watkins Glen, which on a map published in 1790 appears as Culver town. He must have been the first settler at the head of Seneca Lake. The Weaver family burial ground is in Central Reading on the farm bought by James Weaver of the estate of Alpheus and John Davis, in 1827. The Peck burial ground in which are also members of the Rich and Walling families, is near North Reading, on the homestead settled by Jason Peck in 1818 and whose heirs own the plat. Andrew Eggleston and family are buried near their former home at Halls Corners in Western Reading. Near the site of the old time sawmill of James Pope, is the lone grave of his father-in-law Elijah Underwood. There are early day graves back of the Partridge Tavern to the south of the highway, eastward of the Weaver ground and on the old Tunicliff premises near the northern line of town. On two of the points of the Lake shore the Big Point now the location of the Glen Salt works, and the fourth point to the northward, were the unmarked graves of the Senecas. The Reading Center Burying Ground is also section No.5 - the original owner was Joshua Brooks.
THE OLD BURIAL GROUNDS OF READING
Article Four (ca.1904)
Sites of Graves Throughout the Town.
Old Burial Places Obliterated by the Plow.
Statements of Family Grounds.
Supplemental to the recent articles on the "Old Burial Grounds of
Reading" some statements concerning the sites of graves throughout the
town may be regarded as worthy of consideration by readers who are interested
in the past. Also it may be stated in conclusion that the old grounds
have been cleared of brush under the supervision of the committee named,
John Corbett (the writer of these articles), William N. Hillerman and George
H. Mathews. There are several plots of graves in Reading that have
been obliterated by the plow, and their sites as plated below are known
to the writer through information and observation.
- Back of "Partridge Tavern" were unmarked mounds of the Moore family.
- Across the highway from the old James Pope home in southwestern Reading were graves long since leveled by cultivation.
- In an orchard near the west line of the Thomas Ellis farm, were graves with stones of slate bearing the names of “Thayer."
- A plot of graves of considerable extent now lost in a cultivated
field, was located on lot No. 9, Section 7, east from the Rock Stream Road,
and north of the highway leading west, from the Lake Road.
Edward Eddy, who resides in the vicinity, stated to the writer that the
following named persons were there buried and their remains never had been
removed to other resting places:
Enos Davis and wife
two children of Joan Smith
Alonson Benson, whose grave he had helped to dig.
- Near this old forgotten ground, under an apple tree in the northward of the highway are the unmarked graves, of Joseph Tunnicliff and an infant brother.
- To the eastward of this locality, on the line between the
farms of the late Samuel P. Uhl and one long owned by Wm. M. Grove are
three or four graves marked by field stones. They are within the zig zags
of a rail fence, and about forty rods east of the Lake Road. It is
probable that some of the graves of this site have been plowed over.
Some say that the remains are those of the Marshall family and others state
that Lairds were buried there. The stone of the lone grave on the
old James Pope farm has been undermined by the plow and has fallen to the
ground. It bears the name of his father-in-law in the inscription:
Eliah Undewood died Oct. 19,1835, aged 66yrs-6 mo.
- One on the former Edwin C. Andrews and Thomas families.
The remains were removd to Dundee some twenty years ago, but two graves
were undisturbed and bear markings as follows:
William Albert, son of Oliver L. and Amanda Olds, died Aug. 20, 1849, aged 3 yrs.
Infant son of O. L. and A. Olds died Aug. 1840.
The ground doubtless contains some unmarked graves.
- The Culver burial plot on a knoll of the old Culver Homestead
north of Reading Center is the site of but three graves inscribed as follows:
David Culver died June 4, 1829, age 78 yrs.
Jerusha is wife died Dec. 1, 1840 aged 81 yrs.
David Culver Jr. died Sept 25, 1842, ages 61 yrs.
David was the first settler at he head of Seneca Lake. He moved in 1800 to the farm where he was buried, from a location just south of the entrance of Watkins Glen which on a map published in 1790 appears as "Culvers " town. His head stone is topping over from the act of some vandal of former years in removing sand and nearly opening the head of his grave. In time to come this pioneer may have suitable protection to this last resting place.
- The Weaver family ground in Central Reading was reserved in the last will and testament of James Weaver made June 26, 1852, as follows: The said reserve for burying ground being 32 ft. long by 30 wide east and west, with a road or path 6 ft. wide from the highway to the said burying ground. The aforesaid burying ground and path leading there, to be needed for burial purposes and no other as long as grass grows and water runs. James Weaver died in 1864, aged 93 years, and was buried by the remains of his wife within his reservation, that today is in a sadly neglected condition. The other marked grave within it is that of Davis Weaver, who died in 1836, aged 24 years.
- Another private ground of Reading is that of Andrew Eggleston and family, who are buried near their former home at ‘‘Hall’s Corner”.
- The “Peck Burial Ground” is near North Reading in the southeast
corner of the homestead settled by Jason Peck in 1812, and which was sold
by his descendants to Delos W. Pratt, March 17,1875, "Excepting and reserving
the following described piece of land: Beginning at the southwest corner
of Jason W. Peck’s gravestone, running west 10 feet, then south 8 feet,
thence east 32 feet, then south 8 feet, thence north 44 feet, thence west
32 feet, then south 36 feet to the place of beginning, for the purpose
of a family burying ground."
The Peck descriptions include the following:
Jason Peck died Oct. 2. 1845, aged 76 years, 8 months, 27 days;
Rhoda, his wife, died March 1, 1S61, aged 76?(80) yr. 8 months, 27 days.
Jason W. Peck, died Nov. 26, 1863, aged 66 da;
Susanna, his wife, died Aug. 18, 1854, aged 53 years;
Gabriel, son of Jason W. Peck, d. 1839;
Sally Ann, wife of Benoni Peck, 1858, aged 27;
Sarah, wife of Mahlon Peck, 1867, aged 24.
Annis D. Peck, 1875, ae 62.
This Burial Ground, which is so far from the highway as seldom to be visited of late years and is greatly overgrown with shrubbery, appears to have been a place of public interment in pioneer days. For adjoining the Peck reserve on the west are many graves, including thirteen that are unmarked, and others with inscription as follows:
Annis Dimmick, wife of Pearse Dimmick, died Nov 27, 1812, aged 28y-1 month;
Reuben Thomas, died Jan I830, aged 52 years.
Isaac Whitcomb, died Feb. 26, 1816, aged 46;
Miner son of Ansel Rich, 1820, age 11
Edwin son of B. and C. Drake, 1820, aged 1 yr.;
Benjamin Griswold, 1820, aged 21yrs.
Levina Smith, 1880, aged ?33/88?;
Peter Walling died July 24, 1833/88? 45 yr.
Lucy wife of Reuben Thomas, Jan. 28, 18__, 80 years;
David Davidson, born Oct 7, 1779, died April 1, 1850, and family, five graves;
Jacob B. Goltry, died Feb. 18, 1874, aged 72;
Rhoda his wife, 1837 aged 33, and Schuyler his infant son.
General John Lamb in local history Elmira Express
In the second article on the "Old Burial Grounds of Reading", reference is made to John Lamb, the owner of Section No. I, as having been Colonel of the Artillery Regiment from which a detachment was sent in the Military Expedition of 1779. He was Colonel of the Third Regiment of the New York Line, and since I wrote that article I have found record concerning him, in the "Documentary History of New York," published by the State in 1850. That work refers to the "Life and Times of General Lamb", by Isaac Q.Leake, Esq., and gives facts concerning John Lamb as of the "Sons of Liberty" of New York - "afterwards a Captain in Montgomery's Expedition against Canada, and since known as General Lamb". The statement concludes as follows, "General Lamb after seeing considerable service through the Revolutionary War died in New York on the on the 31st of May, 1800, in the 66th year of his age." John Lamb is referred to as deceased in the first deed cited in my article, of date of Feb. 1, 1809, when Anthony Lamb, his son, conveyed to Catherine Lamb Tillingast, his daughter, 1,500 acres of land at the head of Seneca Lake. She was then the widow of Charles Tillinghast, and the mother of Charles Jr. who married Jerusha Hatfield. He was vestry man and his brother-in-law, Isaac was warden of the Episcopal Society organized at the Head of Senea Lake in 1830. Charles Tillinghast sold his land in Reading to Samuel Watkins May 17, 1836 and removed to Millertone, PA. where he died and his remains were buried.
His son Robert Tillinghast married Clarissa Wilson who after his death became the wife of a brother, John Lamb Tillinghast, who came to Watkins and died in January, 1901. Members of the family at the time were the daughters of Robert Tillinghast, Myrtle Tillinghast and Maude Tillinghast, now Mrs. H. C. Stouffer the great-great-grandchildren of General John Lamb. Most of the above facts are the result of research, but some details of family were given to the writer by John L. Tillinghast, during an acquaintance which began previous to 1896.